How to Write a Song for Beginners
The video tutorial above is a step-by-step guide on how to take your song from just an idea to a finished song.
Below, we’ve summarised the main points, but make sure to watch the video to see Keppie and Benny put the steps into real-time practice, demonstrating a song written start to finish using the 5-step process to show you that it really works!
Also make sure to download the free PDF of the 3 different chords progressions, in 3 different keys, with BONUS 16-bar chord progressions to try out.
Are you a musician who aspires to write your own songs but gets stuck when it comes to creating compelling lyrics and memorable melodies? Fear not! In this blog post, we’ll walk you through a step-by-step process to help you write your first song. We’ll cover everything from selecting chords and crafting meaningful lyrics to creating a captivating chorus and a captivating bridge. Get ready to unleash your creativity and start your songwriting journey on a high note!
Step 1: Start with Chords
To kickstart your song, begin with chords that create a strong foundation. Choose four chords that sound good together. For simplicity, let’s use the key of G and explore chord progressions like 1-5-6-4, 1-6-4-5, and 4-1-5-6. These progressions provide a solid backbone for your song.
Step 2: Create Meaningful Lyrics
Now that you have your chords, it’s time to infuse them with powerful lyrics. To craft lyrics that resonate with your audience, consider what you want to express or the emotions you want to evoke. Reflect on your personal experiences, relationships, or societal issues that matter to you. Here are some tips for creating impactful lyrics:
- Write from your perspective: Address the song directly to someone else, establishing an emotional connection with the listener.
- Start in the present tense: This brings immediacy and draws the listener into the moment, intensifying the emotional impact.
- Establish a conflict or problem: In the first two lines of your song, introduce the tension or conflict that drives you to sing. It hooks the listener and sets the stage for the rest of the song.
- Focus on a single theme: Keep your song centered around one topic or theme to maintain its impact throughout.
Bonus tip: Discover the title early on. A strong title anchors your song and encapsulates its essence.
Step 3: Craft a Captivating Melody
Now that you have chords and lyrics, it’s time to weave them together with a compelling melody. Keep the melody simple yet harmonious with the lyrics. Create a melody that supports and enhances the emotional impact of your words. The melody and lyrics should work in harmony, telling your story in a captivating way.
Step 4: Build an Unforgettable Chorus
The chorus is the heart of a song and often the most memorable part. It’s the section that listeners eagerly anticipate and sing along to. Here are some tips for writing a great chorus:
- Make it catchy: Craft a melody that is instantly recognizable and easy to remember. Use repetition and hooks to make it stick in the listener’s mind.
- Emphasize the main theme: The chorus should encapsulate the core message or emotion of your song. Make sure it stands out and delivers a powerful impact.
- Increase energy and dynamics: Typically, the chorus is more energetic and uplifting than the verses. Use chord progressions, vocal harmonies, and instrumentation to create a sense of elevation and excitement.
Step 5: Construct a Captivating Bridge
The bridge provides a refreshing contrast to the rest of the song, adding depth and interest. It serves as a transitional section that connects different parts of the song. Here’s how to create an engaging bridge:
- Offer a new perspective: The bridge can introduce a different viewpoint or emotion, providing a fresh angle to the song’s narrative.
- Change the melody and chords: Distinguish the bridge from the rest of the song by altering the melody and chord progression. This creates a sense of progression and surprise.
- Create tension and anticipation: Build anticipation for the final chorus by adding a sense of tension or a climactic moment in the bridge
Conclusion: How to Write a Song for Beginners
Congratulations! By following these five steps, you’ve embarked on an exciting journey into the world of songwriting. This comprehensive guide provides beginners with essential insights into songwriting – it’s now up to you to put them into practice. Whether you’re exploring songwriting techniques or seeking step-by-step instructions on how to write a song, these tips will set you on the right path. From chords and lyrics to choruses and bridges, this guide covers all the essentials for successful songwriting. Unlock your songwriting potential and start your musical journey today.