The songwriting group isn’t a class. No one is the teacher. It’s a community space to give you the structure and accountability to write regularly, and receive some feedback from your peers.
The group will run for 8 weeks, and is fully online (by email).
Songwriting Groups in 2023 will run:
Feb 6 – April 2
April 10 – June 4
June 12 – Aug 6
Aug 14 – Oct 8
Oct 16 – Dec 10
Here’s how it works:
- I will send the group a songwriting prompt and a due date (due SUNDAY night every two weeks).
- You write a song, with or without the prompt by the due date.
- You send a recording and lyrics of the song (worktape or production) as a reply-all to the prompt email.
- You all listen to each other’s songs, and can send feedback and compliments (or not!) only to the person (not as a reply-all).
- The group doesn’t meet live; it’s all by email (old school!).
The “rules” of the group are:
- Submit by the due date.
- If you miss a week, you get 1 free pass if you email me beforehand. If you miss more than one, you’ll be put on the waitlist for the next round, if you’re keen to rejoin some other time. (The group requires regular, on-time participation.)
The aim is to write something every two weeks. Sometimes it will be something you love. Sometimes it won’t. Both are excellent. The goal is regular songwriting, in a community, and all that comes with it.
The 8-week session is $40AUD (I’m charging a nominal fee to cover the cost of logistics and communications). If you’re keen to join, please go ahead and send the registration fee here:
Once that has come through, I’ll confirm your registration on my end, and away we go!
Please note that by registering, you are confirming that you have read and agree to the participation policy (which has to do with guidelines on giving feedback, and comments that breach our basic policy of respect and inclusivity).
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
The idea to offer access to a songwriting group to others comes directly from my own experience in my songwriting group, which I have talked about here on the YouTube Channel. My own songwriting group is the primary reason I wrote more than 20 songs last year, and have written almost 10 songs this year (we’re in May 2022 right now!).
One final note on my role: my role is to host the group, to facilitate and coordinate. I won’t be participating or providing feedback. The function of this community is to produce work, and learn from your own work, listening to others, providing your own feedback, and asking questions of others. I felt it important to be clear about my role to avoid any confusion 🙂